Call for Nominations for the sixth SPARC Europe Award for Outstanding Achievements in Scholarly Communications
The Hague, The Netherlands
From today until 15 May 2011, SPARC Europe will be accepting nominations for the sixth SPARC Europe Award for Outstanding Achievements in Scholarly Communications and Open Access.
Nominations are open to individuals or teams preferably within Europe who have made significant contributions and discoveries in the field of scholarly communications but in particular to
- researchers that help illuminate the scholarly communications landscape;
- advocates that promote the development of new models of scholarly communications;
- developers of new tools that aid an open scholarly communication system;
- new and interesting initiatives, projects or products that guide and encourage the use of new scholarly communication models.
An international panel composed of members of the SPARC Europe Board of Directors will consider the nominations. Self-nominations will not be accepted. Preference will be given to activity within the past two years. Nominations should be submitted to Carmen Morlon not later than Sunday 15 May 2011.
The prize includes travel expenses to Barcelona for one person, an Award certificate and a bottle of champagne.
The award will be presented during the LIBER conference in Barcelona on Thursday 30 June 2011.
Astrid van Wesenbeeck, Executive Director of SPARC Europe said: “We are delighted to be launching this award which will recognise a talented individual, team or initiative, highlighting the inspiring figures that are behind the advances and progress we are making in the road to Open Access”.
Past winners include Wellcome Trust, SHERPA, Leo Waaijers, the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and SCOAP3 (CERN). All have been recognised for their innovative work with initiatives and programmes supporting, developing and increasing awareness of Open Access.
A nomination should include:
- Name of nominee
- Project name / person name and contact details
- Motivation, no longer than 200 words
- Website information
For further information please contact us at the SPARC Europe Secretariat.