SPARC Europe publishes Annual Report. Highlights of 2023
It has been a busy year for SPARC Europe. Key highlights from the year include:
- Continuing to support over 20 national OS policymakers by facilitating CoNOSC: sharing knowledge on research assessment, publishing, copyright and OA and OS policy monitoring.
- Running a Retain your Rights Campaign through Project Retain focussed on rights retention: underpinned by extensive European research with our Opening Knowledge: Retaining Rights and Open Licensing in Europe Report downloaded more than 2.5k times.
- Gaining a better understanding of the European landscape of 1) funding Diamond OA through DIAMAS, and 2) the policy landscape of OA books at PALOMERA and publishing an Open Education policymaking research report Insights into developments in European Open Education institutional policymaking report.
- Making progress in helping secure open infrastructure, primarily through work with SCOSS helping raise over 5.8m euros and welcoming RDA and Software Heritage to the SCOSS Family. We also got the new community of practice of 15 OS infrastructures, ie. the SCOSS Family, to work together to strengthen the OS ecosystem on several levels.
- Moving Open Education forward with our European Network of Open Education Librarians (ENOEL) and our podcast and workshop series, helping librarians upskill, engage and collaborate around Open Educational Resources such as open textbooks, and setting out our policy for the next 3 years.
We look forward to furthering progress on our 2021-2024 strategy as we simultaneously plan our strategy for 2025 and beyond.