SPARC Europe exists to promote Open Science, Open Scholarship and Open Education in Europe. We address Open Access to publications, FAIR Data, Open infrastructure, Open Education, as well as research evaluation.
Since our founding in 2003, we have been a key player in driving Open Access forward by influencing open policies in Europe and working with European institutions such as the European Commission, Europe’s research institutions and universities, and organisations with allied Open agendas. We consistently initiate, facilitate and support the implementation of the long-term objective of opening access to European research for all.
Our work centres on five goals:
- Strengthen Open Access, Open Scholarship and Open Science and Open Education policy in Europe and align where possible
- Strive to enable more equity in Open: that all those who wish to publish and share research and education resources openly are better enabled to do so
- Promote diversity in publishing Open research and education
- Raise the impact of publicly funded research by reimagining the way that Open research is rewarded and incentivised
- Help sustain the Open infrastructure/service ecosystem
Our work relates to SPARC Europe’s strategic plan.
For a review of how our work has taken shape in the previous year, download our 2022 Annual Report.